Recipe by Chef Dee
I created this decorative fruit centerpiece for our holiday appetizer buffet.It was very easy, and I made it the night before. With more time, you can make it even nicer ! I served it with White Chocolate Fruit Dip # 137738
Top Review by um-um-good
I made a bouquet for a going away party-it turned out great! Lots of compliments. We used: blueberries, blackberries, red & green grapes, pineapple, strawberries & oranges. I liked how a person could come, pick up a skewer & walk away. no need for plates or napkins. I think a lot more fruit was eaten because of the convenience. I had a few friends grab a few skewers before leaving & could be seen walking down the street eating their fruit. I'll be making this again & again! I used a little heart- shaped cookie cutter for the cutouts (didn't have a flower cutter).
- 1 cantaloupe, peeled
- 1 melon, peeled
- 15 strawberries, hulled
- 10 pineapple chunks, fresh and drained
- 40 purple seedless grapes
- 40 green seedless grapes
- 236.59 ml dipping chocolate
- bamboo skewer
Directions See How It's Made
- You will also need a plant pot, round florists styrofoam ball to fit into the pot and garland. The recipe format would not allow me to put these in the ingredients needed.
- Cut the styrofoam so it fits into the plant pot, the top of the styro should be just even with the top of the plant pot.
- Wrap the garland around the pot, then cover the styro foam top with it.
- On med. low heat, melt the dipping chocolate in the microwave, stirring every min, being very careful that water or moisture does not get into the chocolate.
- When smooth, dip the top 1/3 of the strawberries into the melted chocolate, then place on skewers.
- Poke all the strawberry skewers into the styro, as this will store them upright until the chocolate is set.
- With a serrated knife, or a ridged hors d'ouvres tool, slice the melons into 1" wide by 3" long pieces.
- Insert the melon pieces onto the skewers, lengthwise,set aside.
- Place the pineapple chunks onto the skewers, set aside.
- Place the grapes onto the skewers long-wise; purple, then green, then purple, ending with another green.
- Remove the choc. dipped strawberry skewers from the plant pot, set aside.
- Start poking the fruited skewers into the styro filled pot.
- Fill the center first, then work towards the outside.
- I served this with White Chocolate Fruit Dip #137738.
- Note: I made this the night before our party,and of course it wouldn't fit in the fridge.
- I wrapped it loosely with saran wrap, placed it in a box not much larger than the plant pot, then set it in my car in a cool garage, it was still nice and fresh teh next day !
- BE CAREFUL when you move it, as it is top heavy !