Recipe by EdsGirlAngie
I served this at Thanksgiving one year, it was absolutely delicious. I think the caraway seeds add a distinctive taste, along with the smoky bacon and tart-sweet fruits. A little red wine and a touch of brown sugar rounds out the whole dish very nicely.
- 1 lb thick slab bacon, cut into 1/2 inch dice
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped onions
- 2 1⁄2-3 lbs red cabbage, finely shredded
- 3 tart cooking apples, cored and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 cup raisins
- 3⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 3⁄4 cup dry red wine
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over low heat for about 15 minutes; add onions and cook another 10 minutes.
- Stir in cabbage, apples, raisins, red wine vinegar, wine, brown sugar, caraway seeds, thyme and salt and pepper; combine thoroughly.
- Cover and cook over medium-low heat for about an hour, or until cabbage is nice and tender, adding more liquid if needed, and stirring occasionally.