Recipe by NurseJaney
From a Sun-Maid magazine ad - different from any I found posted. Makes a nice "almost" sweet side to pork and turkey.
Top Review by Gerry
Perfect for the holidays - or any time you want a great rice pilaf. A combination that comes together to make for a wonderful side. Used pecans but I am sure it would be equally good using almonds. Thank you for sharing - it's in my holiday favorites cookbook.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can reduced-sodium chicken broth, low-salt
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 (6 ounce) package long grain and wild rice blend
- 3⁄4 cup raisins, dried or 3⁄4 cup dried cherries
- 1⁄3 cup pecans, coarsely chopped and toasted
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in medium saucepan over med-high heat.
- Add onions and celery.
- Cook 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add broth, water, rice, contents of seasoning packet, and fruit.
- Bring to boil. Reduce heat to med-low.
- Cover and simmer 25 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed.
- Stir in pecans and serve.