Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Warm from the oven, or at room temperature, who doesn't like muffins. :) Why not surprise a neighbour or a friend with a batch of these moist fruit and nut delights. Include the recipe and let them keep the muffin tin as a wonderful gift. Created for the 2010 Category Craze-E Contest.
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup zucchini, grated
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened dried cranberries
- 1⁄4 cup dates, diced
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted sunflower seed kernels
- unsalted sunflower seed kernels, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350*. Line 6 muffin tins with paper liners.
- In a small bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, use a spatula or wooden spoon to mix together the beaten egg, oil, vanilla, and brown sugar. Stir in the grated zucchini.
- Stir the dry ingredients into the zucchini mixture. Gently fold in the cranberries, dates and sunflower kernels.
- Divide evenly among the muffins cups. Sprinkle with additional sunflower kernels if desired.
- Bake for 30 or until tested done with a toothpick.
- Remove muffins from the tin, to cool on a wire rack.
Great recipe, thank you so much for sharing. Thou I vent for savory version, which was delicious. For the savory zuccini muffins, I ommited sugar completely and added 1 chopped shallot, some white pepper, salt, grained coriander, garlic powder and tabasco. So yummy lunch/breakfast food!
Good Muffins. I followed the directions exactly but checked them at 20 minutes and they were done. They rose nicely and filled the 6 muffin tins perfectly. Sunflower seeds add a nice crunch but were overpowering...I think they may have been better just sprinkled on top. Overall, these are soft tasty muffins but were best out of the oven and not so great the next day...so I don't think they would make good gift muffins.
These were tweaked a bit to be gluten free. They are packed with nuts, veggies and fruit. They had a nice texture and flavor. They were a bit sweet for my taste and I might reduce the sugar to 1/4 or 1/3 cup. Good luck in the contest.