Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
A delicious, healthy side dish.
- 1 1⁄2 cups uncooked basmati rice
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 3 scallions, chopped (white & light green parts only)
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups water
- Use a med to lge sauce pan.
- Cook pine nuts over low heat about 3 minutes or until browned, then remove from pan and reserve.
- In same pan add 2 cups water, rice, juice, S&P and bring to boil; cover, reduce heat to low and cook until liquid is absorbed, about 15 minutes.
- Uncover and stir in raisins, scallions and cilantro.
- Let stand 5 minutes then sprinkle with pine nuts just before serving.
We really enjoyed the addition of toasted pine nuts and raisins for a very nice savory flavor. It was a great side dish with baked tilapia.
I make this rice using cashewnuts as a substitute for pine nuts because my family isn't too big on the latter nor am I;) Also, I use 1/2 cup more of water. This is a wonderful rice, very tasty and such a savory delight!