Recipe by Dorel
This is a great looking cookie on a tray of mixed cookies. Good at christmas or for bazaars or church fellowships. Or just for cookie lovers everywhere. Don't know where the recipe came from. I've had it for years.
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1⁄2 cup margarine or 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts or 1⁄2 cup pecans
- 1 cup chopped candied cherries or 1 cup mixed candied fruit
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- Cream shortening, butter or margarine and sugar until creamy. Add eggs and vanilla and mix thoroughly, I use my electric mixture usually on high power to really whip it up good.
- Stir flour mixture into creamed mixture.
- Mix well.
- Add fruit and nuts.
- Chill for at least 1/2 hour for easier handling.
- Shape dough into smooth rolls about 1 1/2 inches in diameter.
- Wrap in waxed paper or clear wrap and chill overnight or until firm.
- Slice with sharp knife in 1/4 inch slices.
- Place on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 375°F for 8-10 minutes or until golden.