Prep 30 mins
Cook 8 mins
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons finely shredded orange peel
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 3⁄4 cups quick-cooking rolled oats
- 2⁄3 cup finely chopped dried cranberries or 2⁄3 cup dried tart cherries or 2⁄3 cup dried currant
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped hazelnuts or 1⁄2 cup walnuts
- 2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 2 -3 tablespoons orange juice (enough to make drizzling consistency)
- In a big bowl beat butter and shortening, using an electric mixer on medium to high speed, for 30 seconds.
- Add in sugars, orange peel, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt; beat until combined.
- Beat in eggs and orange juice until combined; beat in as much flour as you can with the mixer; stir in any remaining flour, oats, dried fruit, and nuts with a wooden spoon.
- Drop dough by rounded teaspoons 2 inches apart onto an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 375° for 8 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.
- Cool on cookie sheet for 1 minute; transfer cookies to a wire rack and let cool.
- To make icing: in a bowl, stir the sifted powdered sugar and enough orange juice to make drizzling consistency; drizzle icing over cookies; let icing dry.
- To store: place in layers separated by waxed paper in an airtight container; cover; store at room temperature up to 3 days or freeze undrizzled cookies up to 3 months; thaw cookies and drizzle.