Recipe by rebeccaa2
Adapted from lots of other recipes, this healthy version is our favorite. Easily made in one saucepan, and makes a quick breakfast option! The butter is optional, but we like them much better with it included...
- 2 1⁄2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup chopped nuts (I use walnuts, almonds and a small handful of sunflower seeds)
- 1 cup chopped dried fruit (I use dried apricots and dried cherries)
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter (optional)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease an 8x8 glass pan.
- Place nuts and oats on a baking sheet, and bake for about 12 minutes or until lightly toasted.
- While oats and nuts are toasting, place in a saucepan over medium heat the honey, brown sugar, butter, vanilla, cinnamon and salt.
- Stir until the mixture bubbles, and keep it boiling and stirring for about 2 minutes.
- When oats and nuts come out of the oven, turn it down to 325.
- Take the pan off the heat, and when the oats are finished, pour them right into the saucepan and mix to combine honey mixture evenly.
- Stir in the chopped dried fruit.
- Press mixture into the glass pan with the back of a spoon - it will be pretty sticky.
- Bake at 325 for 20 minutes, and let cool completely before cutting.
- Wrapped in saran wrap, these will keep for at least a couple of weeks!