A delicious, healthy treat made with grains, seeds, and dried fruit. This makes a nice gift too! Adapted from the California Fig folks.
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup wheat flakes (I use multi-grain flakes)
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup frozen apple juice concentrate
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons corn oil or 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 cup dried fig
- 1⁄4 cup dried apple ring
- 1⁄4 cup dried apricot
- 1⁄4 cup toasted almond
- Preheat the oven to 250 degrees F.
- Coat a shallow baking pan(or cookie sheet) with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine the oats, wheat flakes, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, ground flax seed, apple juice concentrate, brown sugar, oil, and cinnamon.
- Spread the oat mixture in the prepared pan. Bake, stirring occasionally, for 45 to 60 minutes, or until golden brown. Cool completely.
- Place the cereal, figs, apples, apricots, and almonds in an airtight container.
- To serve, place 2/3 cup of the cereal mixture in a bowl.
- Top with soy milk, almond milk, rice milk, low fat milk, or yogurt.
- Serves 12.
You always have such great cereal recipes Sharon! This was no exception. I made this yesterday to be enjoyed for breakfast this morning - including the B and B guests, who pass on their compliments! They ate it with milk and yoghurt and I also enjoyed it with cold milk. I added a few extras - some dried bananas, some coconut and also a few raisins. Made as a Magic Fairy Dust recipe for MsSally in the Holiday Tag Game - thanks for your support in the game Shaz!!! FT:-)