1 hr 10 mins
This started out as a couscous "pudding" from a recipe book that was an utter failure. Not wanting to waste all that couscous, I had to do something with it. Following the principles from a recipe I'd baked up the previous week, I turned the mess into magic!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/4 cups whole wheat couscous
- 3 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 1/2 cup mixed chopped dried fruit (apples, apricots, raisins, dates, cherries)
- 1/2 cup craisins
- 1/2 cup golden raisin
- 1/2 cup chopped roasted hazelnuts
- 1/2 cup millet
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon clove
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons white sugar, for sprinkling
- 1Scald the milk, then stir in the honey, vanilla and lemon zest.
- 2Add the couscous and stir once, then cover and let stand until the milk is absorbed, about 15 minutes.
- 3Meanwhile, combine fruit, nuts, millet, spices and sugar.
- 4Once couscous is done, fluff with a fork. Allow couscous to cool until warm, then stir together with fruit mixture.
- 5Beat two eggs together, then stir into couscous mixture until moist and sticky. Add additional milk if necessary.
- 6Pat mixture into greased 13x9" pan, smoothing out surface with the back of a spoon. Sprinkle with white sugar to make a nice crisp crust.
- 7Put pan into a preheated 350°F oven and bake for about 40 minutes of until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- 8Allow pan to cool completely, then cut into 16 skinny bars.
- 9Store bars in refrigerator up to one week.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fruit and Nut Breakfast Bars
Serving Size: 1 (89 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 161.5
- Calories from Fat 36
- Total Fat 4.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 28.7 mg
- Sodium 34.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 18.1 g
- Protein 3.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
whole wheat couscous
lemons, zest of