Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
I love make-ahead French Toast Casserole. You can make it in the evening, leave it in the fridge and the next day you can just pop it in the oven and wait for a yummy breakfast treat! Simply swap the cherries and raisins with yummy blueberries and a what brunch treat it is! Don't forget a little icing sugar for dusting and some maple syrup for drizzling! Found this on Love Foodies.
- butter or nonstick cooking spray, for greasing pan
- 24 ounces brioche bread, loaf cut into 1-inch cubes or 24 ounces sweet hawaiian rolls, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 8 ounces cream cheese, cut into 18 cubes
- 3⁄4 cup chopped pecans or 3⁄4 cup walnuts
- 1⁄2 cup dried cherries (or a combo) or 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries (or a combo) or 1⁄2 cup raisins (or a combo)
- 8 large eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon clove
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- powdered sugar
- pure maple syrup, warmed
- Either butter or use a non-stick spray to grease a 9-x-13-inch baking dish. Place half the bread cubes in a single layer, filling in all the gaps.
- Evenly scatter the cream cheese cubes, nuts, and cherries or cranberries (or raisins) on top. Cover completely with the remaining bread cubes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, brown sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves. Evenly pour the egg mixture over the bread cubes. Gently press down on the cubes with your palms to allow the top layer of bread to absorb the liquid. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- The next day, preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Meanwhile, remove the dish from the refrigerator and let sit for 20 minutes at room temperature. Bake the French toast covered for 20 minutes; uncover and bake 15 to 20 minutes longer, or until the cubes are nicely toasted and there’s no liquid puddling on the bottom.
- Transfer the dish to a rack and drizzle the melted butter on top. Run a knife around the rim of the pan to release the French toast. Let sit 5 minutes. Cut into squares, arrange on individual plates, sprinkle with powdered sugar, and serve along with the warmed maple syrup.