1 hr 5 mins
I found this recipe in the April/May 2009 issue of Health Cooking by Taste of Home. This cake is packed full of carrots, fruit and delicious goodness. The original recipe calls for dried currants; however, I liked the golden raisins. The batter is very thick and I found it best to mix well with a wooden spoon to thoroughly incorporate.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2/3 cup sugar or 2/3 cup Splenda granular
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon (I used Baking Spice Blend Mix.)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups shredded carrots
- 1 medium apple, peeled, cored, grated
- 1/3 cup finely chopped dried apricot
- 1/3 cup golden raisin
- 3 tablespoons chopped crystallized ginger
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees, spray a 10-inch bundt pan with cooking spray and sprinkle with flour; set aside.
- 2In a large bowl, beat together the first 6 ingredients, until thoroughly blended.
- 3In a medium bowl, blend together the flour through salt; gradually add to sugar mixture until blended. The batter will be very thick; stir in the carrots, apple, apricots, raisins and ginger.
- 4Pour the batter into prepared pan and bake in preheated oven for 40 to 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted off center comes out clean; allow the cake to cool in pan for 10 minutes prior to removing from pan. Turn out on plate, place on wire rack and allow to cool while preparing the glaze.
- 5While the cake is baking, combine the juices and honey; bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 25 to 30 minutes or until mixture is reduced to 1/3 cup.
- 6Allow mixture to cool for 15 minutes, stir in the diced apricots and raisins, spoon mixture over cake then sprinkle with pecans.
Browse Our Top For Large Groups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fruit and Carrot Cake
Serving Size: 1 (124 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 252.6
- Calories from Fat 43
- Total Fat 4.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 26.4 mg
- Sodium 169.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 27.4 g
- Protein 3.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: