Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Lightly sweet, lightly spicy, crunchy and packed full of homemade goodness. Adapted from a recipe by Michelle at Brown-Eyed Baker. http://bit.ly/fNzDFx
- 5 1⁄2 cups rolled oats (not quick oats)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3⁄4 teaspoon table salt
- 3⁄4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped almonds or 1 1⁄2 cups slivered almonds
- 3⁄4 cup dried cranberries
- 3⁄4 cup chopped dried apricot
- To minimize sticking while chopping the apricots, spray both sides of your chef's knife with non-stick cooking spray; do this in the sink so it doesn't go all over the kitchen.
- Preheat oven to 325°F Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine oats, cinnamon, ginger and salt in a large bowl.
- Combine brown sugar, applesauce and honey in another bowl until well-blended. Pour wet ingredients into dry and stir well (with a spatula or your hands) until all the oats are coated, and the clumps are broken down to the size you like.
- Pour the mixture onto the baking pan and bake in the preheated oven 30-40 minutes. Turn the granola over in sections with a wide spatula, then bake another 10-15 minutes, until crisp and golden. Cool completely on the baking sheet.
- Break granola into clumps the size you like, then toss with almonds, cranberries and apricots. Store in an air-tight container for up to three weeks.