Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
Total Cost - About .50 a bar! Not too bad if you comparison shop a bit, and knowing exactly what goes into them is a sigh of relief for the health-wise. (Nice for toddlers also)
- 1⁄2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 4 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 mashed ripened bananas
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 cup margarine or 3⁄4 cup butter
- Grease a 13 x 9 x 2-inch pan.
- Cream the butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add egg, salt, bananas, vanilla and peanut butter.
- Beat until very well mixed.
- Stir in the oats and blend thoroughly.
- Spread the mixture evenly in pan.
- Bake in a preheated 350-degree oven for 50-60 minutes Cool slightly, then cut into bars of about 1 x 2 inches.
Fantastic!! great for quick mornings, just the portion size is too small. My 2 yr old ate 2 and I ate 3.
I like the flavor of the bars, but they crumbled easily and were more crunchy on the edges where they cooked more quickly, while being softer and chewier near the inside of the pan. I will be making this again, but with some adjustments. Next time, I'll also be adding either chocolate chips or raisins for better texture and taste.
I have made these many times and they are pretty good. They are unlike anything you will buy in a store which is a nice change.