Prep 0 mins
Cook 1 hr
Source: THE FRUGAL GOURMET by Jeff Smith From the 09-30-1992 issue - The Springfield Union-News
Make and share this Frugal Gourmet's Date-Nut Bread With Cream Cheese and Walnuts recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄2 cups pitted dates, chopped
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1⁄2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 tablespoons shortening, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup coarsely-chopped walnuts
- cream cheese
- finely-chopped walnuts
- Place dates in a mixing bowl and add boiling water. Let stand until fairly cool. Add brown sugar, egg, shortening and vanilla. Stir flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder into mixture. Add nuts. Stir until well mixed. Bake in a greased and floured loaf pan in a preheated 350 degree oven for 1 hour. Remove to a cooling rack.
We loved the bread. It was full of dates and nuts, & sweet enough without being cloying. I offered whipped cream cheese at serving (no additional nuts), but both of us liked the bread plain just as well. Thank you for sharing the recipe! Made for zwt6.