Prep 0 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
From Jeff Smith's cookbook "The Frugal Gourmet".
- 2 cups lentils
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon dill weed, dried
- 3 lbs frying chicken, cut up and pan browned
- 1⁄2 cup fresh-grated parmesan cheese or 1⁄2 cup romano cheese
- 4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups plain yogurt
- Soak lentils in 8 cups water in bowl for 5-6 hours. Place lentils w/ the water in a pot w/ the salt, garlic, bay leaf, oregano, and dill weed. Simmer for about 1 hour, covered, until tender but not mushy.
- Add the lemon juice to the lentil mixture. Place the chicken pieces in a casserole and pour the lentil mixture over them, and Top with the cheese, and Bake, covered, at 350 degrees for about 1 hr 15 minute (Might need to add extra water during baking.) Top w/yogurt before serving.
- Smith suggests serving w/a crunchy bread, Spinach Salad, and a heavy red wine.