Prep 0 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This recipe is by Jeff Smith and was published in his book "The Frugal Gourmet". Hope you enjoy!
- 6 slice bacon
- 1360.77 g good stewing beef
- olive oil (optional) or peanut oil (optional)
- 709.77 ml Burgundy wine
- 473.18 ml beef stock
- 29.58 ml tomato paste
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2.46 ml thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- salt, not too much
- 453.59 g mushroom, browned in butter
- yellow onion, peeled, chopped, and browned in butter
- 118.29 ml flour
- 118.29 ml butter (Roux)
- Cut the bacon into little strips, and blanch them with boiling water. Fry gently. Do not burn or darken the bacon. Remove the bacon from the pan and in the fat, brown the beef. You may wish to add a little oil to the pan. (Do not flour the meat before you brown it!) Brown the meat carefully and rapidly and brown it on all sides. Place in a 4 quart casserole.
- Add the wine and soup stock; then the tomato paste, garlic, thyme, bay leaf, and a little salt. (Not too much salt, remember you used bacon.).
- Deglaze the frying pan by putting it back on the heat for a moment after you have removed the beef. When the pan is slightly hot, put a small amount of wine in it and move it around with a wooden spoon. Add this to the casserole.
- Bake the casserole in a 350 degree oven for 2 or 3 hours. When the beef is tender, add the mushrooms and yellow onions. Let all of this cook together for about 20 minutes and then thicken with the roux. Serve this dish with noodles or rice and a huge salad or skip the noodles and serve green vegetables instead.
- Notes: This is an incredibly good dish. It is also very rich and not low in fat, but served once in a while it is sheer heaven.
I loved the Frugal Gourmet and used to watch his show every Saturday afternoon on PBS when I was younger. Only made one half of the recipe for two of us and we so enjoyed this! I used baby portabellas and minced garlic instead of crushed. This is a meal in itself so served in a bowl and had enough for leftovers the next day. Definitely will make this again! Made and reviewed for ZWT 8 - 2010 The Fearless Red Dragons.