Recipe by Queen Dana
This recipe is by Jeff Smith, "The Frugal Gourmet". Hope you enjoy!
Top Review by Tisme
I halved this recipe to 4 servings.
I also could not get yellow onions, so used brown onions instead, but this was still great. The sherry and cream gave a lovely creamy yet rich taste, although I did use extra Parmesan cheese and really it was not necessary, I will stick to the recipe next time.
The onions are great as a side dish and were really tasty with our roast chicken.
Thanks Queen Dana for a wonderful and different way to serve onion.
- 8 medium yellow onions, peeled and sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup dry sherry
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup grated swiss cheese
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese or 1⁄4 cup romano cheese, for topping
Directions See How It's Made
- In two batches, sauté the onion in the butter in a large frying pan. Cook only until limp. Do not brown or discolor.
- Deglaze the pan, or remove the onion from the pan and pour sherry, scrapping the pan with a wooden spoon to dissolve the brown, toasted onions.
- Mix the onions, the sherry, nutmeg, salt, pepper and heavy cream together and place in a baking dish. Top with the Swiss and then Parmesan or Romano.
- Bake at 350 until top is a bit brown and bubbling, 15 - 20 minutes.