Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
From his On Our Immigrant Ancestors Cookbook.
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons garlic, peeled and crused
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 3 lbs chicken, hacked up into small pieces
- 2 1⁄2 lbs boneless pork butt, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- Place a 6 qt heavy stove - top covered casserole on the burner and add the vinegar, water, garlic, salt, bay leaves and pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Add the cut up meat to the casserole and cover, bringing to the boil again. Turn the heat to a simmer and cook, covered for 30 minutes. Add the soy sauce and cook for 10 more minutes. Remove meat from pot and reduce the juices by at least half. Remove sauce to a bowl and reheat the pot. Add the oil and brown the meat in small batches. Brown it well. Drain the oil from the pot and return the sauce to the pot. Heat the adobo to serving temperature.
- Serve with rice.