Recipe by Diana in KS
Cheaper and better alternative to store bought Original recipe by- Nancy Birnes
- 2 ounces semisweet baking chocolate
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup boiling water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt chocolate in a double boiler.
- Stir in butter, then boiling water, then sugar and salt.
- Cook stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
- The sauce is best when served warm.
- Either serve immediately or reheat in double boiler for 10 minutes or microwave for 1 minute.
- To store pour into sterilized glass jars. Allow sauce to cool before refrigerating.
- It will keep for 6 months in the refrigerator.
- :Add any of the following flavorings in place of or in addition to the vanilla:.
- :1 ts orange extract or 1/3 c orange juice.
- :1 ts mint extract.
- :1/8 c crushed strawberries or rasberries, chopped raisins or nuts.
- :1 tb Creme de Menthe, Coffee liqueur, Spice orange Cordial or other.
- :flavored liqueur.
- :1 ts instant coffee.