Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
Whipped cream and strawberry puree crowned with whole berries and a circlet of chopped pistachios and served with raspberry sauce- what's not to love? A special dessert for any special occasion! Originally from a May 1978 issue of Bon Apetit featuring strawberries.
- 6 large eggs, separated
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups strawberry puree
- 1⁄2 cup Grand Marnier
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup orange juice
- 3 cups whipping cream
- chopped pistachios, for garnish
- 3 (10 ounce) packages frozen raspberries, thawed and undrained
- 1⁄4 cup Grand Marnier
- In a large bowl beat egg yolks until thick and lemon colored.
- Add 1 cup sugar and beat until disolved.
- Stir in 1/2 cup strawberry puree.
- Place in top of double boiler and cook over hot water until thickened, about 15 to 20 minutes, stirring frequently; allow to cool.
- Add Grand Marnier, a little at a time,until thoroughly blended.
- Combine 1 cup sugar and orange juice in a 1-quart saucepan.
- Cook, uncovered,over medium-low heat, stirring until disolved.
- Continue cooking without stirring until mixture reaches the soft ball stage(245 degrees).
- While orange juice and sugar are cooking, beat egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Very slowly pour in hot orange syrup, beating until stiff peaks form.
- Whip cream and fold into yolk mixture.
- Fold in remaining strawberry puree.
- Gently but thoroughly fold in meringue.
- Spoon into oiled and collared 1 1/2 quart souffle dish.
- Freeze about 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- When firm, carefully wrap in freezer paper, securing edges with masking tape.
- To serve, remove collar and press chopped pistachios around sides of souffle.
- Whip cream and use to garnish top.
- Decorate with strawberries and serve with raspberry sauce.
- Raspberry Sauce:.
- Combine the thawed raspberries and the Grand Marnier and blend well.
There was something just like this served of Take home chef. Man did it look good. I think it might have been raspberry but you could swap raspberries for strawberries. I have saved this for a hot summer nights dessert. Thanks