Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Wow! Mildly sweet and delicously creamy with a nice strawberry kick. I adapted this recipe from an Italian cooking show on TV (don't remember which one). Be sure to dice the strawberries small, as they're too hard to cut through when frozen. "Cooking" time is actually freezing time. Note: contains raw eggs.
- 2 eggs
- 6 packets Splenda sugar substitute
- 3 drops almond extract
- 2 teaspoons vodka
- 1 drop red food coloring (optional)
- 1 cup diced ripe strawberry (1/8" dice)
- 1⁄2 cup heavy whipping cream
- Separate the egg whites into a small deep bowl, and the egg yolks into a medium bowl.
- Add Splenda, almond extract, vodka, food coloring and a pinch of salt to the yolks; whisk to combine.
- Add diced strawberries to yolks and whisk again.
- With an electric beater, whip egg whites to stiff peaks.
- Fold egg whites into yolk mixture in 2 additions.
- With an electric beater, whip heavy whipping cream to stiff peaks.
- Fold whipped cream into yolk mixture in 2 additions.
- Divide mousse between 4 8-oz.
- ramekins or serving dishes and freeze for 2-4 hours.
- For ease of handling, place dishes in a baking pan (an 8 x 8 pan holds 4 ramekins) before transferring to freezer.
- If mousse has been in the freezer for more than 4 hours, let sit at room temperature 30 minutes before serving.
- Contains about 4.
- 5 Net Carbs per serving.