Recipe by Chandra M
Light & easy to make. Cook time includes 1 hour to chill. From Great American Recipes card series. Other berries may be used in place of strawberries.
- 2 cups strawberries, rinsed & hulled, crushed
- 1 tablespoon honey (to taste) or 1 tablespoon powdered sugar (to taste)
- 3 egg whites
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Separate crushed strawberries in half.
- Set aside 1 cup for the meringue and sweeten the other cup to taste with the honey or powdered sugar.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Beat the egg whites until they hold soft peaks.
- Add the sugar 1 tbsp at a time until the meringue is thick and glossy.
- Add the reserved cup of strawberries and beat just to blend.
- Transfer the meringue to a covered freezer container.
- Freeze for at least 1 hour (can be stored for 1 month in freezer).
- To serve, spoon crushed, sweetened berries into 4 brandy glasses or bowls.
- Top with the meringue.
- Garnish with mint and sliced berries if desired.