Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
My mom submitted this recipe for a church cookbook 30 years ago. I'm not sure where she found it, but it is a family favorite. It's very easy, very delicious and great for summer.
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped nuts
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 cups sliced strawberries (fresh or frozen)
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 -3 egg white
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Mix first four ingredients with a pastry blender until crumbly.
- Pat into a 9x13 pan. (It doesn't need to go all the way to the edges. You will be crumbling this up.).
- Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes.
- After this has cooled, crush it into fine crumbs. Reserve one third of the crumbs for topping, and spread the remaining crumbs evenly in the bottom of the pan.
- Whip the cream and set it aside.
- Combine remaining ingredients in a large mixer bowl and beat at high speed until very stiff.
- Combine strawberry mixture with whipped cream.
- Pour filling into crust and top with reserved crumbs, lightly pressing the crumbs into the filling.
- Cover and freeze until firm.
- I always make double the crust amount because I end up munching it as I go. (How can you miss with butter, brown sugar and nuts, especially pecans?) If you do this you may want to bake your crust in a larger pan.
- Regarding the egg whites - I used only one the last time I made this, and in my Kitchenaid it went all the way to the top of my bowl. It turned out great, but if you prefer a lighter filling, use 2 or 3 egg whites and it will be a little airier.
- I always use frozen strawberries (unsweetened) to save time and work. I thaw a 16-ounce bag and just dump the whole thing in, juice and all. No need to slice them as the whipping will break them up.
- Depending on the power of your mixer and number of egg whites you use, you may have more filling than a 9x13 pan will accommodate. Darn! You'll be forced to do some quality control!
I have been making this fluff, which is actually a torte, for years. I also double the crust ingredients as there is never enough.. Also use Cool Whip instead of the whipping cream and a 16oz bag of frozen strawberries. Fast, easy and delicious....