Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 hrs
From the book, "From Chilis to Chutneys" Preparation time includes the time it takes to toast the nuts and puree the fruit. The soaking, thawing, freezing and setting time counts as the cooking time.
- 3⁄4-1 teaspoon saffron thread, to your taste
- 1 tablespoon nonfat milk
- 1⁄2 gallon non-fat vanilla frozen yogurt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground green cardamom seeds
- 1⁄4 cup ground pan toasted mixed nuts (almonds, pistachios, cashews, peanuts, etc)
- fresh pureed ripe peaches (to garnish) or nectarines (to garnish) or apricots (to garnish) or berries (to garnish) or mango (to garnish)
- Soak the saffron threads in the milk for about 1 hour.
- Let the frozen yogurt thaw at room temperature until it melts, about 1 hour.
- Mix in the saffron milk and ground cardamom and transfer to a medium freezer bowl or fluted cake pan.
- Freeze until it becomes firm, 2-4 hours.
- To serve, set at room temperature 5-7 minutes or dip in a bowl of hot water.
- Invert onto a platter, remove the pan and garnish with the toasted nuts and fruits and serve.