Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
This delicious dessert is perfect to make ahead and freeze for a large gathering on Mother's Day or the long Victoria Day Weekend. The texture of the filling is similar to semifreddo, which is Italian for half-frozen, and contrasts nicely with the crunchy crust. Prepare the crust and rhubarb mixture ahead of time for quick assembly later.
- 4 cups sliced rhubarb (about 1 1/2 lbs)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 orange
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup pasteurized liquid egg-whites, at room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- red food coloring
INGREDIENTS FOR CRUST AND TOPPING
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup walnut pieces
- 1⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄3 cup butter, melted
- mint sprig (optional)
- In a saucepan, bring rhubarb and brown sugar to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring. Reduce heat to medium; cook until rhubarb is softened to sauce consistency, 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, grate rind of orange, and squeeze orange to yield 1/4 cup juice.
- Mix together juice, rind and cornstarch until smooth; stir into rhubarb sauce and increase heat to high and boil for 1-2 minutes or until thickened slightly.
- Transfer to a bowl and let cool to room temperature or chill in refrigerator for about 30 minutes.
- METHOD FOR CRUST AND TOPPING:.
- Meanwhile, in a food processor, pulse together flour, wallnuts, sugar and cinnamon until crumbly.
- Add butter and pulse until combined; press 1 1/2 cups of the crumbs over bottom of 9-inch springform pan.
- Bake crust and crumbs in a 350F oven for 7 minutes or until crumbs are golden brown; remove crumbs.
- Bake crust for 8 minutes longer or until golden brown. Remove to rack and let cool to room temperature, 25-30 minutes.
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites on high speed until soft peaks form; gradually beat in sugar, a spoonful at a time, beating until stiff peaks form. Stir in rhubarb.
- Stir in food coloring by drops to desired color. Pour over crust; sprinkle with reserved crumbs. Freeze for 8 hours or over night. (If frozen solid, remove from freezer a few minutes before serving). Run a knife dipped in hot water around the edge and remove springform ring; cut into serving pieces and garnish with mint if desired.