Recipe by mollypaul
Not a "hasty pudding", this sweet dessert comes from the Creole chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 1 cup mixed candied fruit, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup rum
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 cup heavy cream, whipped
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix fruits with rum and cover tightly.
- Let stand for 2 or 3 hours.
- Beat eggs; add sugar and salt and mix thoroughly.
- Add milk.
- Cook in a double boiler stirring constantly.
- When thickened, remove from heat and cool.
- Fold in whipped cream and fruits.
- Pour into a pan and freeze for an hour.
- Beat; return to freezer for another hour and beat again.
- Repeat once more; fill small molds (paper cups work fine).