Recipe by BeachGirl
I started making these yummy little pizzas so I could have a quick hot lunch in just minutes in the toaster oven but not the gazillion saturated fat-grams in most pizzas. We often serve them as an impromptu appetizer. I especially like these, because their crust gets very crispy - the way I love it! Take this basic idea and add your favorite toppings. I always add onion, and red peppers.
Top Review by BB502
Loved this idea! So easy to make-up and then so convenient, when you want one! This is great for after school snacks, or anytime. I like them for a quick lunch! I made them as you suggested, pepperoni, cheese, red peppers, onions and some with mushrooms! M-m--m-m! The best part is, they are healthier than normal quick pizza's! Thank you so much for posting this great recipe!
- 10 pocketless pita breads
- 28 ounces ragu traditional pizza sauce
- 8 ounces part-skim mozzarella cheese (low-fat)
- 40 slices pepperoni, heated and patted dry to remove fat
- crushed red pepper flakes
- spicy pizza seasoning
- canned mushroom, drained
- diced red peppers or green pepper
- canned sliced jalapeno
- sliced olive
Directions See How It's Made
- On paper plate, place layer of paper towels.
- Place single layer of pepperoni, repeat with paper towel, until all pepperoni are on paper towels, ending with paper towel on top.
- Microwave on Defrost setting just until pepperoni is warm and has released it's fat.
- Do not overcook.
- Press top paper towel to remove as much fat as possible.
- Pick up paper towels and gently shake over a clean paper towel to release pepperoni into a pile.
- Set aside.
- Place poctketless pita on several large cookie sheets so that they do not overlap.
- Using equal ingredients on each pita, place in this order: Spread sauce over pita.
- Sprinkle seasonings over sauce.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Top with 4 slices of pepperoni.
- (Optional: Sprinkle any or all optional veggie ingredients over pepperoni.) Place cookie sheets in the freezer and freeze about 2 hours or until pizza is completely frozen.
- To store: I use pocketless pita bag sitting upright and stack pizzas, separating them with square of waxed paper.
- Keep frozen until ready to cook.
- Bake in preheated toaster oven about 14-15 minutes, or until crust is golden and cheese is melted.
- Toaster ovens vary, so check it after about 12-13 minutes.
- Let them cool for 2-3 minutes and cut into eight mini-slices.