Prep 20 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This is one of our favorite dessert recipes. It can be made ahead and keeps a long time in the freezer. If you like pistachio, you should try this! Cook time is for freezing.
- 1 quart vanilla frozen yogurt
- 20 ounces Oreo cookies
- 6 tablespoons margarine, melted
- 1 1⁄2 cups skim milk
- 2 (3 1/2 ounce) packages instant pistachio pudding mix
- 8 ounces Cool Whip Lite, thawed
- Soften ice cream while preparing crust.
- Place cookies in a food processor or blender; cover and process until fine crumbs form.
- Stir in butter.
- Set aside 1 cup for topping.
- Press remaining crumb mixture into an ungreased 13x9 dish.
- In a mixing bowl, beat milk and pudding mix on low speed for 2 minutes.
- Gradually add ice cream; mix well.
- Fold in whipped topping.
- Spread over crust.
- Sprinkle reserved crumb mixture over top, pressing down lighty.
- Cover and freeze for 4 hours or overnight.
- Remove from freezer 20 minutes before cutting.
I'm basing my 5 stars on the ease of this recipe & how much of a hit it was... even though I had to make a couple of major changes. Because I didn't want to hit a second grocery store, I had to use vanilla ice-cream in place of the frozen yogurt & chocolate pudding in place of the pistachio pudding. Very refreshing & light tasting (even with the ice-cream) and quite fancy looking.
Edited 08/29/10: I tried this recipe again using all the proper ingredients & served at a family bbq. It looked so pretty with the pistachio pudding & everyone was gushing about it! Definitely a go-to recipe!!
This was delicious - and very easy. My husband remembers his pistachio concretes from Ted Drewes in St. Louis and has never been able to find anything else to replace it. This made him happy!