1/1 Photo of Frozen Peanut Butter Pie With Candied Bacon
5 hrs 30 mins
College Girl's Note:
Candied bacon might seem like the ultimate example of gilding the lily, but it adds a sweet, smoky edge to this already luscious pie. Elvis would be proud. Use 10 in. pie plate. Thanks Gourmet.com
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 7 slices bacon (about 6 ounces)
- 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- about 35 chocolate wafer, finely ground in a blender (about 2 cups crumbs)
- 3/8 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter (not natural)
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream, chilled
- 1/3 cup dry roasted salted peanut, finely chopped
- 1Cook bacon (in 2 batches if necessary) in a 12-inch heavy skillet over medium heat, turning once, until lightly browned on edges but still flexible, 5 to 6 minutes total per batch. Transfer to paper towels to drain.
- 2Pour off fat from skillet and arrange bacon in skillet in 1 layer. Sprinkle 1/4 cup sugar and cinnamon over bacon and cook over low heat, turning occasionally with tongs, until sugar has dissolved and then caramelized (sugar melts very slowly and burns easily; reduce heat if necessary after sugar begins to caramelize) and coats bacon, 8 to 10 minutes. (Bacon will be dark and look lacquered.) Transfer bacon with tongs to a cutting board to cool. When bacon is cool, finely chop 5 slices, leaving remaining 2 slices whole.
- 3Stir together wafer crumbs and butter, then press onto bottom and up side of pie plate. Chill pie shell.
- 4Heat remaining 1/2 cup sugar and milk in a small heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring until sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat and whisk in peanut butter and vanilla until combined well, then transfer to a bowl and cool completely in an ice bath, stir.
- 5Beat cream with an electric mixer until it just holds stiff peaks, then fold into peanut butter mixture with peanuts and chopped bacon gently but thoroughly. Transfer filling to pie shell, smoothing top.
- 6Cut remaining 2 bacon slices into 2-inch-long pieces and arrange in a decorative starburst shape in center of pie. Freeze pie, uncovered, until frozen hard, about 5 hours. Let pie soften slightly in refrigerator before serving, about 30 minutes.
- 7Pie can be frozen, covered after 5 hours with plastic wrap and foil, up to 2 days.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Frozen Peanut Butter Pie With Candied Bacon
Serving Size: 1 (97 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 422.1
- Calories from Fat 320
- Total Fat 35.5 g
- Saturated Fat 14.4 g
- Cholesterol 61.0 mg
- Sodium 280.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 14.7 g
- Protein 9.6 g