Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is my mom's recipe and is SOOOO good! Very rich and chocolatey! A very often requested recipe for birthdays! Cooking time reflects time in the freezer.
- 26 Oreo cookies, crushed
- 118.29 ml butter, melted
- 1892.5 ml ice cream, any kind (chocolate chip mint is good)
- 425.24 g jar chocolate fudge topping
- 283.49 g Cool Whip
- Set cool whip out to thaw and soften.
- Reserve a few cookie crumbs for topping.
- About 1/3 cup.
- Mix remaining crumbs with butter and press into the bottom of a 9 x 13 inch pan.
- Freeze for 20 minutes.
- Now, make layers of ice cream and hot fudge.
- It is easier to use the ice cream that comes in a brick.
- Just unwrap the carton and then slice the ice cream and layer as follows.
- 1 layer ice cream (1/2 of ice cream) 1 layer hot fudge (1/2 of hot fudge) remaining 1/2 of ice cream.
- remaining 1/2 of hot fudge.
- Freeze for 20 minutes.
- Spread the cool whip on top.
- Freeze until ready to serve.
- Sprinkle reserved cookie crumbs on top just before serving.
I am posting in faith it will be 5 stars. I made one mint choc-chip and a half one with birthday party flavor and the other half in a small pan with birthday party plus cookies and cream. I make desserts for all the birthdays at my husbands work, but we will be out of town and saw this recipe and decided to make it early and put in the work freezer, will update later what they thought. Made a small one for the kids and us to eat later. Thank you for a fun easy recipe! He loved it, he texted us on our trip, not sure which one he ate. My family ate the birthday party flavor, AMAZING! I will do that flavor again, it had sprinkles in it cake flavor icecream it looked fun too! My oldest 5 requested I make it his next birthday. Thank you for a easy, fun make ahead recipe!
WOW! This is an awesome dessert (some would say 'showstopper') and I'll definitely be making it again, and experimenting with different flavors. I started with a bag of mini Oreo's (8 oz.), which I 'crushed' and used most of them for the base/crust. I used mint chocolate chip ice cream (DH fave) and layered half on top of the bottom Oreo layer, then the rest of the Oreo's and the rest of the ice cream and in the freezer. When frozen again, I spread about 3/4 of a jar of hot fudge sauce (11.5 oz. size) with an offset spatula (which I used to smooth out dessert the whole time I was making it), almost to the edge. Then, back in the freezer. The last layer was almost all of an 8 oz. tub of light Cool Whip. I used a 9 1/2 inch springform pan, as I thought it would be easier to 'un-pan.' A knife, dipped in warm water makes cutting this much easier. Thanks for sharing a great recipe, JillAZ.
Yes, this is SOOOO good! This dessert did not last long in our home. My whole family loved it. I used chocolate chip mint ice cream which was so yummy with the chocolate fudge and cool whip. Yum Yum!!