Recipe by JustJanS
I've been making this recipe for close on 30 years. It's great, but only as great as the ice-cream you use. Don't be tempted to use any more liqueur as the alcohol stops the ice-cream setting (I've tried!) These are wonderful for a dinner party.
Top Review by Tybooty
Hello. You stated that you had tried to add more liquor, if that is something that you desire to do, just add a little bit of unflavored gelatin to the liquid. this will help it to set up, but will also take a little longer for it to melt as well. This sounds good. Thanks for sharing.
- 6 oranges
- 1 liter vanilla ice cream (the best you are prepared to buy)
- 150 ml orange juice concentrate
- 3 tablespoons Grand Marnier (or other orange flavoured liqueur)
Directions See How It's Made
- Remove a"lid" from the top of each orange (retain the lid).
- Carefully remove all the pulp from the orange-I use a dessertspoon to do this.
- Allow the ice-cream to soften for a minute or two, then working quickly, stir through the liqueur and concentrate and fill the orange shells with this mix.
- Replace the lids.
- Freeze for at least 6 hours but preferably overnight.
- Remove from the freezer about 10 minutes before serving so they go frosty.
- These look good with a sprig of orange or lemon leaves poked into the top before serving*note-don't be tempted to use the pulp in place of the concentrate, the flavour is all wrong.
- Use the pulp for juicing or something.