Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a recipe I found back in 1971 before DH and I got married. I found it on a box of Reynolds Wrap. It had a great picture of the finished dish and my little brother who was 7 at the time made me promise to make this for him after I got married. Well.... I believe I had been married about 10 years when I finally made this for him. DH and I just celebrated our 35th. Yes DB still asks for this whenever we have a family get together. Enjoy! Preparation time does not include freezing time.
- 340.19 g package frozen pound cake
- 473.19 ml neapolitan ice cream (brick)
- 127.57 g package frozen whipped topping
- 14 pecan halves
- 8 maraschino cherries
- Must use Heavy Duty Reynolds Wrap.
- Cut pound cake lengthwise into 3 equal layers.
- Place one layer on an 18" square sheet of Reynolds Wrap.
- Cut ice cream brick lenghtwise into 2 equal slices and place on cake layer.
- Repeat with second ice cream brick and cake layer. (finish with cake layer).
- Frost top and sides with whipped topping. (Cool Whip).
- Decorate with pecans and cherries.
- Place on foil in freezer about 2 hours, or until topping is frozen hard.
- Remove from freezer.
- Bring foil up, double fold over top and fold in ends.
- Return to freezer till ready to serve.
- Slice into equal servings of 8-10.
OK, I'm the DB in this story and my DS is awesome!!! It took her a little while to get around to making it, but it was fabulous and worth the wait. She's an incredible cook and an even better sister!
I have made something similar to this in the past but this one was fantastic, I used cherry ice cream in place of the neapolitan and also increased the maraschino cherries and pecans, this is delicious thanks for sharing Teresa!
This was somewhat of a challenge to make. It sounds so easy, but mine didn't look nearly as pretty as the photo. (I will post the picture soon). I made this on Fathers Day. I didn't get the nice even layers... I think I let the cake thaw too long. I did not use the nuts or cherries. I decorated with frozen strawberries (since that is in the ice cream already). It was delicious, tho. Very creative idea. Simple but not so simple. Thank you for posting. (Made for PRMR)