Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Source: Rachael Ray Magazine (August 2008) Note: you can leave out the rum to make this kid-friendly! Prep time doesn't include freezing time.
- 16 ounces butter
- 3 cups pretzels, salted, finely crushed
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 3 limes, zest of, grated (need peel of 3 limes)
- 1⁄2 cup lime juice (from grated limes)
- 2 tablespoons white rum
- 3 tablespoons fresh mint, finely chopped, plus sprigs of
- fresh mint, for garnish
- 2 cups heavy cream
- In a medium skillet, melt the butter over medium-low heat.
- Stir in the pretzels and 2 tablespoons sugar and cook until lightly toasted, about 3 minutes.
- Transfer to a bowl to cool slightly.
- Press about 2 tablespoons into the bottom of each cup of a 12-cup muffin pan.
- Freeze for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, using an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese on medium speed, scraping down the sides of the bowl, until fluffy, 2-3 minutes.
- Mix in the remaining 1 1/4 cups sugar on low speed, then gradually mix in the lime peel, lime juice, rum and chopped mint.
- In a separate bowl, beat the heavy cream until stiff peaks form.
- Fold into cream cheese mixture.
- Divide the cream cheese mixture evenly among the muffin cups; smooth over tops.
- Cover with plastic wrap and freeze overnight.
- To serve, run a wet knife around each cake, then invert the pan onto a clean work surface.
- Set each cake upright and top with mint sprig.