Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
Based on the recipe "Velvet Lush" from Company's Coming "Chocolate Everything" Cookbook. I changed a few things and came up with this. Time does not include chill time.
Chocolate Coffee Crust
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1⁄3 cup white sugar
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee granules, crushed into powder
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups semisweet chocolate, chip
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee granules, crushed into powder
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 3⁄4 cup hot water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla or 2 teaspoons Kahlua
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄4 cup icing sugar
- 2 cups whipped cream
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 4 semi-sweet chocolate baking squares
- For the Crust:.
- Measure all 7 ingredients into a small bowl.
- Beat with a spoon until smooth.
- Spread evenly into a greased 9 inch springform pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- For the filling:.
- Measure the first 5 ingredients into a saucepan Heat on low until smooth, stirring often.
- Beat in 1 egg at a time.
- Add icing sugar and beat well.
- Cool completely.
- Beat whipping cream until stiff.
- Fold chocolate mixture into whipped cream.
- Pour over cooled crust.
- Chill at least 2 hours before glazing.
- For glaze:.
- Heat whipping cream in a small sauce pan on low.
- Add chocolate, stirring consistantly, until melted and smooth.
- Pour over cooled cake, letting some drip down the sides.
- Freeze 6 hours before serving or overnight.
- Thaw slightly to cut.
- Garnish with chocolate curls or chocolate covered coffee beans if desired.
Lush and lovely! This made for a wonderful summer dessert with great taste and great presentation! I followed through as directed using pure vanilla but next time around going to assure I have some Kahlua. While this made for one of my summer desserts it is a lovely dessert that would make any special occasion all the more special. Thank you Pamela for another great dessert.