Recipe by internetnut
I have not tried this recipe. I got it from Tops courtesy Israel Diary Board. The cookies can be crushed. 30 vanilla wafers can be substituted for the petit Beurre Cookies.
- 2 -3 teaspoons instant coffee
- 2 teaspoons sweetened cocoa powder (or 1/2 teaspoon cocoa powder with 2 tbl sugar)
- 5 pasteurized eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 1⁄4 lbs white cream cheese
- 1⁄2 tablespoon vanilla essence
- 1⁄2 tablespoon rum extract
- 15 petit beurre biscuits, whole
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix instant coffee with sweetened cocoa powder.
- Separate egg whites from yolks. Beat egg whites with 1 cup sugar until stiff.
- In a large bowl, mix cheese, yolks, 1 cup sugar, vanilla, and rum essence. Gently fold beaten egg whites into the batter.
- Line large rectangular pyrex dish with petit beurre crumbs. Pour half the batter over the cookie or crumb base.
- Sprinkle with coffee and cocoa mixture and cover with the remaining half of the batter.
- When the cake is sliced, the dark surface inside creates a marble effect, which adds an element of surprise as well as flavor.