Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
If available, use grade B maple syrup (rather than the more expensive grade A) for the most maple flavor. Chill time included in cook time.
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1⁄2 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- 1 1⁄3 cups heavy cream, chilled
- 1 (9 inch) prepared graham cracker crusts
Directions See How It's Made
- Add 2 inches of water in a medium saucepan; bring the water to a bare simmer.
- Whisk the egg yolks and maple syrup together in a medium stainless steel bowl and place the bowl over the simmering water, making sure that the bottom of the bowl doesn't touch the water.
- Heat the egg/maple mixture, whisking constantly, until it registers 160° on an instant-read thermometer.
- Remove the bowl from the pan; using an electric mixer, beat the egg/maple mixture for about 5 minutes or until it is cool and thick; stir in the rum.
- In another medium mixing bowl, whip the heavy cream, using an electric mixer, until soft peaks form.
- Gently fold the whipped cream into the egg/maple mixture.
- Scrape the filling into the prepared pie crust.
- Cover the pie with plastic wrap and refrigerate until the filling is completely set (at least 6 hours and up to 1 day)--I don't know why this pie is called frozen.