Recipe by Shark Lover
This is a recipe from 'Company's Coming Decadent Desserts By Jean Paré' This is a book I received as a gift and have decided to work my way through it. I made this cake for my grandfather's 91st birthday and it's pretty tasty! There are a number of steps involved, but each step is easy. Preparation time is only a guess and does not include freezing time. The book says to put the meringue into a rectangular shape, but I'm sure any shape would work.
- 4 egg whites, at room temperature (large)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- lime, filling
- 300 ml sweetened condensed milk
- 1⁄2 cup lime juice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons finely grated lime zest
- 2 cups whipping cream
- fresh raspberry
- lime zest, curls for garnish (optional)
- 425 g frozen raspberries in light syrup, thawed
Directions See How It's Made
- Put the egg whites in a bowl and beat them until soft peaks form.
- Add 1 tbsp of sugar at a time, making sure that the sugar has dissolved before you add more.
- Put this into a large piping bag and pipe using a star tip.
- Put this on a prepared serving dish that can go in the oven.
- Bake at 225 F, for about 1 hour.
- Leave the oven slightly open, until it has cooled.
- Lime Filling;.
- Add in the condensed milk, lime zest and lime juice in a bowl and beat until it is smooth and thick.
- In a different bowl beat the whipping cream until stiff peaks appear.
- Folding, add in the condensed milk you just mixed with lime.
- Put it in a large piping bag with a star tip.
- Place a little bit of the whipped cream mixture on a serving platter to secure one of the meringues to the platter.
- Carefully press the meringue on top of the whipping cream mixture.
- By adding a thick layer of the whipping cream mixture on top of the previously secured meringue, secure the other meringue.
- Using the rest of the whipping cream mixture decorate your cake around the sides and on top.
- Using the raspberries now decorate the top of your cake with them, and if you are adding the lime zest curls add them now.
- Making sure that the cake is uncovered, freeze for 6 hours or until firm.
- For longer storage make sure you cover it up after it has frozen.
- Raspberry Syrup;.
- On medium-high setting bring the raspberries in the syrup to a boil.
- Leave it boiling for 5 minutes or until has thickened slightly and reduced by half.
- Put it in the fridge until cool.
- Cut into desired sizes to serve and drizzle on the syrup.