Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I saw this recipe and I'm posting it here for safekeeping. I have not tried this yet but it looks like something I'm going to want to make in the warm months ahead! Mmmm lemon! (Cooking time does not include freezing time.)
- 1 1⁄4 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, melted
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk (NOT evaporated milk)
- 1⁄2 cup lemon juice
- yellow food coloring (optional)
- whipping cream, whipped or whipped topping
- Preheat oven to 325ºF.
- Combine graham cracker crumbs, sugar and butter; press firmly on bottom of 8 or 9-inch square pan.
- In small bowl, beat egg yolks, sweetened condensed milk, lemon juice and food coloring (optional). Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake 30 minutes.
- Top with whipped cream.
- Freeze 4 hours or until firm. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Garnish as desired. Store leftovers covered in freezer.
- Note: May be refrigerated instead of frozen.
REFRESHING! I recommend putting the whipped topping on as you serve it. I followed the directions exactly, and when I pulled the dish out of the freezer, the whipped cream had flattened/thinned pitifully. I just cut the squares and put more whipped topping on top! Everyone enjoyed them. Great balance between tart custard, and sweet crust.