Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1 cup water
- 2⁄3 cup lemon juice or 2⁄3 cup lime juice
- 3 large egg whites
- 1⁄2 pint whipping cream
- In large saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch, and gelatine; add water and lemon or lime juice.
- Over medium heat, cook and stir until slightly thickened; stir in a few drops of food coloring in color of juice used, if desired (yellow or green).
- Chill until partially set, about 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- In small mixer bowl, beat egg whites until stiff but not dry; fold into juice mixture.
- In small mixer bowl, beat whipping cream until stiff peaks form; fold into juice mixture.
- Tape or tie 3-inch waxed paper or foil "collar" securely around rim of 1-qt souffle dish.
- Pour mixture into dish.
- Freeze 6 hours or overnight.
- Remove "collar".
- Garnish with whipped cream, candy lemon drops and gum drop slivers if desired.
- Return leftovers to freezer.
- Souffle can be chilled in refrigerato 6 hours instead of being frozen.
I used to make this many years ago and had lost the recipe. Cool, light, refreshing, impressive and very easy! I chill and serve it in tall green glasses that belonged to my greatgrandmother, garnished with whipped cream &/or a fresh twist of lemon and long iced tea spoon.