Prep 20 mins
Cook 4 hrs
These are wonderful. Light and tart, they are a great finish off to any meal. Especially nice in warm weather.
- 4 large lemons
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 dash salt
- 1⁄2 cup light cream
- 1⁄2 cup lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons lemon rind, grated
- 2 egg whites
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- orange liqueur (optional)
- Sherbet maybe frozen in half or whole lemons. For halves, cut larges lemons in half squeeze juice and scrape out all the pulp, using a grapefruit spoon. For whole lemons, cut a slice from the top, loosing the pulp with a grapefruit knife and scoop it out. Strain through a sieve, pressing the pulp to extract all the juice. Reserve juice. Place the lemon shells in cake pan, cover with a plastic wrap and refrigerate.
- To prepare sherbet, combine 1 cup water and ¾ cup sugar and bring to boil in a saucepan. Simmer 5 minutes and let cool. Add salt, cream, juice and rind. Pour into freezer tray or shallow metal pan. Freeze until almost firm. Beat smooth with a mixer.
- Beat egg whites to soft peaks, fold into lemon mixture thoroughly. Freeze again until firm enough to mound from a spoon. Spoon into lemon shells. Place in a cake pan, cover with a plastic wrap and freeze until firm.
- Decorate with green leaves and drizzle sherbet with an orange liqueur if desired.