Prep 30 mins
Cook 4 hrs
A great and tart finish to a meal.
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1 cup whipping cream
- vanilla wafer crumbs
- In a small heavy saucepan or the top of a double boiler, combine egg yolks, ¼ cup sugar, lemon juice and rind.
- Whisk over low heat just until creamy and slightly thickened.
- Beat egg whites to soft peaks; gradually add ¼ cup sugar, beating to stiff peaks.
- Fold into lemon mixture.
- Whip cream and fold in gently.
- Sprinkle pan or baking cups with a thin layer of vanilla wafer crumbs and pour mixture over.
- Freeze until firm.
- To serve, unmold individual mousses from baking cups or cut mousse in pan into squares.