Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
An excellent dessert to have in your freezer for unexpected company. Light and refreshing. I've tweaked this recipe since I originally submitted it by (1) using more crumbs for the bottom and (2) adding lemon zest.
- 3⁄4 cup graham wafer crumbs
- 1⁄4 cup margarine or 1⁄4 cup butter
- 3⁄4 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄3 cup lemon juice (juice from fresh lemons is best)
- 1 1⁄4 cups whipping cream
- Lightly grease an 8" pan.
- Melt butter and add graham wafer crumbs.
- Mix and press most of the crumbs in the bottom of the pan reserving a couple of tablespoons for later.
- Combine in a sauce pan a 1/2 cup sugar, 2 egg yolks and lemon juice.
- Cook over medium heat stirring constantly until thickened. Add a tablespoon of lemon zest (optional but great).
- Beat 2 egg whites to form stiff peaks.
- Gradually add 1/4 cup sugar and beat until stiff.
- Fold meringue into cooled custard together with 1 1/4 cups of whipping cream whipped.
- Turn into prepared pan.
- Sprinkle reserved crumbs and freeze until firm.
- Serve frozen.
- Keeps well in freezer.
Lovely refreshing dessert and very easy to put together. I cannot buy graham wafer crumbs here in The Netherlands and used a mixture of ginger cookies and digestive biscuits. The only minor change I made was that I added lemon zest.
Deliciously light and lemony, a refreshing dessert for summer entertaining. Not only delicious but a make ahead! I already have an extra in my freezer for unexpected guests. It's so nice to be able to bring out a prepared dessert to share with family and friends. Thank you Darlene10,I've added another of your fab desserts to my keeper file!