Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Get the scoop on this delicious ice cream dessert - It's ridiculously easy to make and even easier to enjoy!
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons espresso beans, crushed with a rolling pin to medium-fine crumbs
- 1 pint coffee ice cream, slightly softened
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons Kahlua
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- sweetened whipping cream
- For a fun way to decorate your sundae glasses: Melt the chocolate chips; scrape the melted chocolate into a ziptop bag. Snip off the corner of the bag and drizzle the chocolate onto the inside of the two 10-ounce flared glasses. (Martini glasses make a beautiful presentation for this frozen teat. ) To set the chocolate, put the glasses into the freezer for two to three minutes.
- To make the espresso brittle: Line a cookie sheet with kitchen parchment paper and lightly spray with a nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium, heavy-bottomed pot, combine the sugar and the water. Heat the mixture over a high flame; swirling the pot occasionally until it turns a light amber color (similar to caramel) -- DO NOT STIR.
- Add the crushed espresso beans, swirl them around in the sugar mixture; continue to cook until it turns brown. Remove the pot from the heat. Whisk in the butter and salt, gently. Quickly pour the candy mixture (brittle) onto the prepared cookie sheet; tilt the sheet to get the brittle to flow into a thin, even layer (CAREFUL - IT'S HOT!).
- As the brittle cools a-bit, use a metal spatula to spread it into a thinner layer. Let it continue to cool down and harden. Break the brittle into bite-sized shards.
- To prepare your frozen cappuccinos: Scoop ice cream into a blender; add heavy cream, Kahlua and cinnamon. Blend until smooth.
- Divide the ice cream mixture in half and pour into the prepared glasses.
- Garnish with a dollop of whipped cream and shards of the espresso brittle. (Save any leftover espresso brittle in an airtight container for up to 1 week; enjoy with other frozen dessert treats.).
- CHEF'S TIP: Kid-Friendly Version - Omit the Kahlua, increase the milk to a 1/4 cup, add a 1/4 cup malted milk powder.
- CHEF'S TIP: To soften ice cream, place container in the refrigerator for 30 minutes OR until very easy to scoop.