Recipe by Sharlene~W
Oprah recently featured this treat as one of her favorite things. I ordered the mix from Serendipity in NYC. The food editor from our local paper went in search of the recipe after numerous requests from readers and here it is--straight from Serendipity 3 restaurant. When my mix arrives, I'll let you know how this recipe compares to the real deal.
Top Review by kpestrada
this is excellent...have made it several times now... due to lack of ingredients in my pantry and patience,I did substitute 2tsp of unsweetened baking cocoa and 2tsp additional sugar for the hot chocolate powder and used 1/3cup semisweet chocolate chips for the chocolate..instead of melting the choc in a double boiler, I dissolved the cocoa and sugar in the 1/2c milk, added the choc chips and stuck it in the microwave to melt the chocolate then I followed the rest of the recipe as stated. I love this stuff!
- 3 ounces of your favorite chocolate
- 2 teaspoons store-bought hot chocolate powder
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 3 cups ice cubes
- lightly sweetened whipped cream
- chocolate shavings
Directions See How It's Made
- Chop chocolate into small pieces and place in top of double boiler over simmering water, stirring occasionally until melted.
- Add chocolate mix and sugar, stirring constantly until thoroughly blended. Remove from heat and slowly add 1/2 cup milk, stirring until smooth.
- Cool to room temperature.
- In blender, place the remaining 1 cup milk, room-temperature chocolate mixture and ice.
- Blend on high speed until smooth and the consistency of a frozen daiquiri. Pour into a giant goblet and top with whipped cream and chocolate shavings.
- Enjoy with a spoon or a straw.