Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
A simple, elegant dessert to end a dinner with friends. These are dreamy.
- 1 cup sugar
- 8 large egg yolks
- 1 cup well-chilled heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup brandy
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup toasted skinned hazelnuts, chopped
- 5 ounces fine quality bittersweet chocolate
- 3 tablespoons milk or 3 tablespoons cream
- 3 tablespoons softened butter
- In a saucepan, combine sugar and ½ cup water.
- Bring to boil over high heat, stirring, until sugar is dissolved and boil syrup for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, beat yolks until thick and pale.
- Add hot syrup in a thin stream, beating, and beat mixture until it is cool.
- In a chilled bowl, beat cream until it holds soft peaks.
- Fold it into yolk mixture with the brandy and vanilla, and fold in hazelnuts.
- Spoon into 10, ¾-cup ramekins and freeze, covered with plastic wrap, for atleast 4 hours and up to 3 days.
- For sauce: Melt chocolate in milk or cream.
- Remove from heat and stir in butter until melted and sauce is glossy.
- To assemble: Dip molds in warm water.
- Invert creams onto dessert plates and spoon chocolate sauce over.