Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
I am a big chocolaholic and I love frozen hot chocolate. I've tried a couple of the recipes that I've found online, some were really really good, but none had enough chocolate for me..I wanted something very chocolatey and preferably very dark, so I came up with this recipe...I also thought that none of the recipes were creamy enough for me so, I decided to use half and half instead of straight milk. I've also tried using 1/2cup fat free liquid presweetened coffee creamer and 1/2 cup milk to substitute for the half and half (and omitted the sugar, of course) and the substitution worked quite well. I also use unsweetened dark cocoa, but I'm sure regular unsweetened cocoa, would work just as fine. I also added the optional milk because, my blender needed it to blend the whole thing smooth. You may not need it. Hope you enjoy!
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 3 teaspoons dark unsweetened cocoa (heaping teaspoons)
- 2 -3 tablespoons sugar (heaping tablespoons or to taste)
- 1⁄3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 cups ice (about 12-14cubes)
- 1⁄4 cup milk (this is optional)
- Combine the half and half, cocoa, and sugar in a 3 cup microwavable container and stir until cocoa and sugar are dissolved.
- Add chocolate chips to the mixture and microwave on high for 1 minute (and in 20 second intervals) until the chocolate chips are completely melted when stirred (do not overcook).
- Refrigerate mixture until completely cold.
- When cold, put chocolate mixture in a blender and add the ice, and blend until icy smooth. (If needed, add the optional milk to help blend the mixture until smooth).
This was perfect. Real cocoa instead of "cocoa mix". I added 1/4 tsp of vanilla.