Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
Sounds weird, but this recipe is a quick and easy way to save, and later use, your overabundance of cucumbers from the garden. Just defrost and serve to friends and family as a special reminder of summer flavors, even in the dead of winter. Crunchy like pickles with a surprisingly pleasant flavor! Recipe courtesy of www.cooks.com.
- 7 cups cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 3 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 tablespoon salt
- Mix all ingredients in large bowl.
- Refrigerate for 24 hours.
- Put in containers and freeze with the brine.
- Just defrost to serve.
- Tip: To save space and avoid freezer burn, I freeze this overnight in shallow freezer containers. Then, defrost slighty (or dip in a hot water bath) to release the food from the container. Seal the block of frozen food in a ziplock or seal-a-meal bag, label and stack back in the freezer until ready to use. This works great for all kinds of foods!