Recipe by Trisha W
This fluffy pink pie with red flecks is festive looking for the holidays and easy to make ahead of time. Top it just before serving with a cranberry glaze star(see recipe.)
- 1 pie crust
- 2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon frozen orange juice concentrate
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1⁄3 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- Spread the pie crust in a 9 inch pie plate and bake at 450 degrees for 9- 11 minutes until light golden brown; cool completely.
- For the filling combine the 2 C of cranberries and 1 C of sugar and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Add the egg whites, orange juice concentrate, vanilla and salt and beat on a low speed until blended and frothy.
- Beat on high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Fold into the cranberry mixture.
- Pour into the cooled crust and freeze until firm and ready to serve.
- At serving time make the glaze by combining the 1/4 C sugar and cornstarch, in a small pan, then the 1/2 C cranberries and 1/3 C water.
- Cook and stir until the mixture becomes thick and bubbly.
- Spoon over the pie right before serving, spreading and shaping the glaze into a star shape on top of the pie.
- Cooking and preparation time are divided between the filling and glaze.