Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 1 min
We usually prefer slaws with creamy dressings, but we've never found one that freezes. This is a recipe passed on to me from Mom and has been a delicious alternative so we could use up the extra cabbage (after making sauerkraut of course) from the garden. I am posting it to assist with a discussion on the boards. Hope you enjoy it as much as we do! Prep time includes time cabbage mixture has to stand before adding dressing.
- For Slaw: Mix salt with cabbage and let stand one hour.
- Then squeeze out excess moisture.
- Add carrot and green pepper.
- Set aside.
- For Dressing: Combine vinegar, water, sugar, celery seed and mustard seed and bring to boil.
- Boil one minute.
- Cool to lukewarm.
- Pour over cabbage mixture (coleslaw) and put into containers and freeze.
- Thaws quickly.
I reduced the sugar to 1/2 cup.It freezes well and is nice and tart this way.
I've been making this recipe for years and it's always a winner. A great way to use cabbage from the garden. Great sweet/sour taste.
This cole slaw is a winner! It has such a sweet pickley flavour! I have had requests for the recipe from family and friends. It thaws so quickly and it makes a great last minute addition to a meal.